History

1891
Rev. D.D. Moore
Rev. D.D. Moore conducted the first English Evening Service at the Penang Town Hall in July. Later the English Service moved to a rented home for missionaries. The first Sacramental Service was conducted by Dr. J.C. Floyd in August for 8 persons. The English Service moved to the Armenian church in November. Sunday School began and the church started with 3 members.

1893
D.D. Moore
The English Service was held at Priory in Northern Road (a garage for the Runneymede Hotel).

1895
D.D. Moore
The Wednesday Parish Meeting began.

1897
Albert J. Amery
The English Service moved to Penang ACS new building.

1898
B.F. West
First Christian Chinese Wedding held and Theological School began with 4 students.

1910
F.R. Maynard
Two houses were acquired at Larut Road for Boarding House and Missionary Residence.

1911
F.R. Maynard
Cornerstone was laid on December 26 for the English Church Building. Land on Anson and Burma Roads was exchanged for Larut Road.

1912
W.T. Ward
FitzGerald Memorial Church, Penang, was dedicated by Bishop W.P. Eveland on November 26 in memory of Bishop James M. FitzGerald, who presided over the 15th Session of the Malaysia Conference meeting in Penang on February 20-24, 1907, and who died in Hong Kong on April 6,1907 on his way to America, and also in memory of his daughter, Miss Cornelia FitzGerald, who died in Penang on March 2,1907. The land was purchased for the sum of $8,000 and the Church Building was built at $18,500 and the cost of fittings was $1,000. Sunday School moved to the Church from ACS in November. The church had 16 members.

1918
R.F. Thomas
Due to overcrowding, the Sunday School moved to ACS hall.

1927
P.L. Peach
The FitzGerald Memorial Church building debt was paid up.

1933
W.A. Schurr
The Ladies'Aid Society was organised.

1938
M. Dodsworth
A new Missionary home was built at "Hillview" at Burma Road. 

1941
C.D.Patterson
World War II started. Wesley Church Penang compound was the Army Camp of the Japanese army. Sunday Service was held at Madras Lane Chinese Methodist Church.

1945
World War II ended.

1946
Theodore Runyan
After 5 years, Penang Wesley church revived the activities and moved back to the Church compound.

1947
Theodore Runyan
The Methodist Youth Fellowship (MYF) was organised.

1948
Theodore Runyan
The Women's Society of Christian Service(WSCS) was reorganised.

1950
Theodore Runyan
Purchased a new organ at $4,000.

1951
Theodore Runyan
The Intermediate Youth Fellowship (IMYF) was organised.

1952
M. Dodsworth
The church Building was rewired and the roof timber renewed. The 2nd PG Company Boys' Brigade and Girls' Life Brigade were formed.

1954
Theodore Runyan
A Youth Centre was opened.

1957
G.J.Teilmann Jr.
The Church Hall was completed at $51,000. The North Malaya Branch of Methodist Book Room was opened. The Methodist Young Adults fellowship was organised.

1958
G.J.Teilmann Jr.
The Church Building was renovated and the old plaster was scraped

1960
Craig S. Wilder
The new Baldwin Electronic Concert Organ was purchased.

1961
Craig S. Wilder
The new Youth and Education Centre was built. Membership was 499.

1964
Wong Hoon Hee
The Church Building and the Church Hall were renovated.

1965
Wong Hoon Hee
The World Division of the Methodist Church in America transferred the property at 136 Jalan Burma to Penang Wesley Church for the amount of $20,000.

1976
Wong Onn Thau
The Church Building and the Church Hall were renovated at the sum of $75,000. The entrance of the Church Building and the Altar were changed to their present position. Sunday Services were held at Penang MGS Hall for 4 months and later moved back to Church Building for Services on the New Year's Eve Watchnight Service.

1980
Philip Chan
The Wesley Manse was repaired. Membership was 453.

1984
Philip Chan
The first Church Family Camp was organised.

1985
Philip Chan
The Methodist Youth Complex was completed at the sum of $324,164.

1986
Won En Mien
Celebrated the 95th Church Anniversary with the Musical Drama "The Dreamer". The Methodist Youth Complex was dedicated by Bishop C.N. Fang on November 17. The Tadika Methodist Pulau Pinang was attached to Wesley Church Penang.

1987
Won En Mien
We began two Sunday Services at 9 a.m. and 11 a.m.

1989
Won En Mien
The Senior Fellowship was initiated. A new organ was purchased for the sum of $6,700.

1991
Won En Mien
Centenary Year. The Church Building was repaired and repainted. The church built an extension and renovated the Church Hall at $188,000. Membership was 531.

1994
Ong Ing Pee
The senoir fellowship was officially reconized as the Methodist Senior Fellowship

1995
Ong Ing Pee
Started the first preaching point at Tanjong Bungah.

1997
Ong Ing Pee
The oldest Methodist church in Malaysia went online with launch of a homepage on her 106th anniversary.

2002
Timothy Ong
The church celebrated triple (111) anniversary with BB & GB celebrating their 50th anniversary

2004
Lawrence Francis
The Church celebrated its 113th anniversary. Eldercare Focus was implemented in 2004. Direction for the church: call to brotherly love, leaders must be praying leaders & church be a missionary church

2008
Hwa Jen
Hokkien worship service shifted from MYC Hall to the Sanctuary, and the Contemporary worship service moved to the MYC Hall.

2010
Hwa Jen
Dedication service of the Macallum Community Service Centre.

2011
Hwa Jen
Renovation of the church office and Manse. The church celebrated 120th anniversary.

2012
Hwa Jen
BB & GB celebrated 60th Anniversary.

2013
Paul Santosh Christie
The church celebrated 122nd anniversary.